Post by cutterjohn on Nov 28, 2016 4:46:29 GMT
I like this idea. The individual armor layers could have a 'coating' option, just like radiators do. Have all the standard materials, plus some paints.
The mass hit, if one was implemented, wouldn't have to be that big. We add a ton of laquers/varnishes/epoxies/corrosion inhibitors/etc to paint on earth to make it stand up to weathering and general abuse. Most of that would be unnecessary in space, it could be spread as thin as ink is on a magazine cover.
Things I'd like to see:
- A lightweight proximity trigger for making flak. This should be separate from the remote control.
- Fission Fragment drives. Picture a nuclear reactor with its core exposed. No coolant. It uses the fission products as a reaction mass, with a stupidly high Isp. There would probably need to be some arbitrary downside added though, otherwise they'd be too good compared to the MHD thrusters. We don't really worry about contaminating places in the game.
- Better models for the lasers.
- Running cool radiators and equipment needs more of an advantage. Perhaps making it harder to target/pinpoint things running cool, and the targeting system occasionally loses track of the component and fires at something else.
- Speaking of radiators, an active cooling type of radiator that uses some sort of liquid mass, spraying cold liquid over a far smaller heat sink and venting it to space. Good as emergency cooling if the primary radiators get shredded, or for cooling systems you only need for very short term use(i.e. weapons).
- Some form of built in ship/module/scenario sharing system, so players can trade their ships. Bonus points for an AI controlled tournament setting that players can submit ships/fleets to(has to be AI controlled, since player vs AI works hilariously in the players favor).
- My ultimate dream.. An open world with trading, exploration, piracy, wars, etc.